Gorakhpur city is home of the Gorakshanath Temple (Gorakhnath Math) in Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. In Gorakhpur Buddhism and Hinduism flourished down the ages. even Jainism and Sikhism also found a concrete base over here. As a result there are many Holy Places in Gorakhpur which attract many tourists also other than devotees.
Tourist attraction of Gorakhpur
1) Gorakhnath Temple- this temple is dedicated to the Saint Gorakhnath. He preached humanity and yoga all over the nation. He was an important figurine during medieval times for his acts of austerities. The city gets its name from this math. It was constructed back in the 12th century. The temple houses the saint’s shrine, his footsteps and his seat, where he used to practice Yog.
2) Archeological museum- Established in 1957, this museum portrays the history, rules, culture, traditions and archaeological findings of past and present Gorakhpur. It is the most famous local tourist destination and is crowded at all times.
3) Gita Press- currently holds the position of being the world’s premier press of publishing Hindu religious scriptures and books. It was started in the year 1923 by Jaya Dayal Goyandka and Ghanshyam Das Jalan. Their main motto was to promote Hinduism. They have published many Hindu’s religious scriptures like Holy Gita and with its interpretations, epics Ramayana and Mahabharata, various Purana and Upanishad.
4) Rail Museum-main attraction of this museum is the steam engine of Lord Lawrence that was built in London in the year 1874 and imported to India by a ship. This museum have a photo gallery, uniforms, old clocks and other engines. Children can enjoy the toy train ride there.
5) Nehru Park- a beautiful park right next to Gita Press. Its serene surroundings and lush greenery will give you exactly what you are looking for at the end of a day, a little rest and some quiet.
6) The Kushmi Forest- a popular attraction near Gorakhpur railway junction. It comprises Sal and sequoia trees in the entire area and some of the animals like monkeys, deer, and fox can be seen here. A park called Vinod Van and a zoo is also attached to this forest.
7) Arogya Mandir is a therapeutic temple in Gorakhpur known for its body and mind therapies. This mandir holds frequent 10 day camps with 20 participants in each and provides them yogic and Ayurveda therapies.
8) Ramgarh Tal is a heritage site in Gorakhpur. This lake covers an area around of 700 hectares and its embankment is 18 km long. It is also a popular spot for boating.
9) The Veer Bahadur Singh Planetarium is a popular sightseeing spot in Gorakhpur
How to reach Gorakhpur
Air: Air Force Station is 8 kms away from the railway station. Daily flights are also available from Gorakhpur that links it to Calcutta and Delhi via Lucknow. Other commercial airports that are nearby this place are located at Varanasi and Lucknow.
Rail: It is well connected to all the chief cities of the country via rail route.
Road– Frequent road-transport to all the key cities of Uttar Pradesh is available at Gorakhpur. The main bus stand of this place is close to the railway station. From here, you would also get regular buses for other routes like Lucknow, Varanasi, Delhi, Kanpur, etc.
If you find this post useful, please share and leave your valuable feedback in the comment box.
Subscribe for further travel update