Yercaud is a beautiful hill station of Tamil Nadu, having an average elevation of 1500 meters. It is located around 28 km from Salem City in Shevaroys hills . There is a a temple on hill top name Servarayan temple, because of that hill got its name. Yercaud town got its name from Yera lake which is located about 5 km from Servarayan temple. This town also known for its coffee plantations and other citrus fruit like orange, jack fruit, guava and for some spices like cardamom and black pepper. These forests rich in sandalwood, teak and silver oaks. You can easily spot some animals like bison, deer, foxes, mongooses, snakes, squirrels to birds.
A week long Summer Festival in May month is also a major attraction of the town in which you can enjoy different type of exhibition.
Place to visit in Yercaud
1) Yercaud Lake: Lake on which town got its name, must be a important destination. lake is surrounded by green forest with wonder full view of the surroundings, here you can enjoy the natural beauty along with local cuisine of Tamil Nadu. There are many small and big shops to offer you best local taste.
2) Lady’s Seat: A rock formation in the shape of seat, and it was a popular place where British ladies often do picnic before independence. This place offer nice view of green surroundings make it picturesque place.
3) Killiyur Falls: This is a big fall of height around 100 feet , you can enjoy swimming or boating at the base of this fall. This place is close to Yeracud Lake.
4) The Servaroyan Temple: This is ancient temple dedicated to God Servarayan diety of this region. This famous temple located on top of hill that also offer great view of surroundings. This place also offer good trekking route pass through deep forest, that gives you feel of adventure.
5) Pagoda Point: the best place for calm and soothing environment with religious touch. Here, you can get panorama view of Salem town; it is a picture perfect place.
6) Silk Farm and Rose Garden:Around 2 km from Yercaud town, here you can see how silk prepared from silk worm. Place have lots of mulberries plants. The silk farm also tells about the history of silk producing in India. The rose garden has a different of varieties of roses that is quite interesting to see so many type of roses at a single place.
7) Bear’s Cave: It is also main attraction of Yeracaud. Its location is close to the Norton’s Bungalow, another attraction of the place and on the way to the Lord Murugan Temple. It is popular belief that this cave was created by bears and once Tipu sultan hide here.
8) Orchidarium: It is a garden having around 250 varieties of exotic and rare orchids along with some endangered one. ‘Insect Eating Pitcher’ plants and the ‘Neela kurinji’ plant those blooms once in twelve years are main attraction of the garden.
9) The Grange: A historic building of Yercaud and now a holiday resort where you can spend your valuable time in the green forest with all amenities. And once, it was the summer resort of Robert Clive, General of the East India Company.
10) Karadiyur Viewpoint : A wonderful sight seeing placed in yercaud about 12 km from the center of the town in a village Karadiyur.
How to reach Yercaud
For exploring Yercaud you have to reach Salem of Tamil Nadu and there from you will get many option of Buses and taxi.
Air: Trichy Airport at a distance of 168 Km is nearest to the town. You can hire a cab from airport or choose buses on this route
Rail: Danishpet Railway Station is the nearest railway station to the town but its batter to prefer train up to Salem which is main rail head of the region, then you take taxi up to Yeracaud.
Road: Yercaud is well connected with all major cities of Tamil Nadu like Trichy, Coimbtoor through Salem.
If you find this post useful, please share and leave your valuable feedback in the comment box.
Subscribe for further travel update